Shell looking forward to considerable performance gains with Scuderia Ferrari at Australian Grand Prix.
Mar. 17, 2016
Shell delivered 25% of Scuderia Ferrari's power unit performance gain in 2015.
- Shell is working closer than ever before as Innovation Partner of Scuderia Ferrari to develop new powerful blends of Shell V-Power race fuel throughout the 2016 Formula 1® season which begins at this weekend’s Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne
- Shell V-Power race fuel delivered an unparalleled 25% of total performance gain to the SF15-T Formula 1 power unit in 2015, giving almost half a second per lap, equating to an average of 30 seconds over a race distance
- Five new powerful blends of Shell V-Power race fuel were introduced to Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen’s cars throughout the 2015 season
- As part of a relentless, aggressive pursuit of performance, the fuel upgrades represent one of the greatest step changes offered by Shell in the history of the Innovation Partnership with Scuderia Ferrari
- Significant performance gain helped power Scuderia Ferrari to 16 podiums, three victories and second in the 2015 Formula 1 Constructors’ Championship
- Shell’s involvement in Formula 1 is a demanding scientific exercise in itself, ensuring technological advantage developed for Scuderia Ferrari is passed directly through to motorists. The most obvious example of this is Shell V-Power Premium 98, which owes a large part of its development and pedigree to the Formula 1 programme
“It was always our plan to adopt a more aggressive strategy in 2015 with the development of our Shell V-Power race fuel in comparison to previous years, and we plan to continue this approach in 2016 starting at the Australian Grand Prix. We really applied our learnings from 2014, a year of new and innovative hybrid technology, to our 2015 race fuel, of which we introduced five new powerful blends. We worked closer than ever with our colleagues in Maranello where we fully integrated our development plans to optimize the fuel-engine package and it was great to see that our hard work paid off, helping to power the team back to winning ways. Now the hard work continues throughout 2016.”
Guy Lovett, Innovation Manager, Motorsport, Shell
“We made some great progress with the car in 2015 and Shell really did contribute to our performance gains over the course of the season. I know our engineers have been working very closely with Shell over the winter to further develop our engine package ahead of the 2016 season and I’m confident Shell V-Power race fuel will help power us towards more race wins. I am really looking forward to the season-opening race in Melbourne, it’s a fantastic venue to go racing, sometimes unpredictable, but I’ll be pushing to score a strong result there.”
Sebastian Vettel, Scuderia Ferrari Driver
“The engine is a major contributor to our overall performance, as it is for every team, and the Shell V-Power race fuel we use delivers more horsepower to the engine over a season than you would actually think. The car last year was a massive improvement compared to 2014 and I am confident, together with our technical partners, that we will be even stronger in 2016. I like the Albert Park circuit, I won here with Scuderia Ferrari in 2007 and hope I can repeat that result this year.”
Kimi Raikkonen, Scuderia Ferrari Driver
“Last year was a really positive year for Scuderia Ferrari and we made great strides in performance, particularly with the power unit, compared to 2014. The considerable improvements Shell made with its Shell V-Power race fuel really did contribute to our own improvements on the race track, not only helping to deliver greater horsepower but reliability as well. Our Innovation Partnership with Shell has never been stronger and we look forward to continuing our work with them for at least the next five years with the aim of winning more races and championships.”
James Allison, Technical Director, Scuderia Ferrari
Account Director, Edelman
(p) +61 422 677 476
About Shell’s Technical Partnership with Ferrari
Shell’s Technical Partnership with Ferrari dates back to the 1930s and is considered one of the most technically advanced and successful in the history of motorsport. In Formula 1 the Technical Partnership with Scuderia Ferrari has amassed 12 Drivers’ Titles and 10 Constructors’ Championships.
Formula 1 allows Shell to test its Shell V-Power race fuel and Shell Helix Ultra with PurePlus Technology lubricant under the most demanding and controlled conditions. The learnings gained from working with Scuderia Ferrari are transferred directly to the development of Shell's premium commercial products for the road.
Up to 50 people in Shell labs and facilities around the world invest over 21,000 hours each year on research and development for the Technical Partnership. Furthermore, every new Ferrari road car leaves Maranello with a full tank of Shell V-Power fuel and is prepared with Shell Helix Ultra with PurePlus Technology lubricant.
About Shell V-Power
Shell V-Power race fuel supplied to Scuderia Ferrari contains at least 99% of the same types of compounds used in Shell V-Power unleaded fuels for the road.