Working with local communities for a better future
Highlights from the community programmes and initiatives.
Exciting students, families and teachers about the possibilities science can offer
- 33 years of partnership taking science to kids across Australia
- 98% of teachers said the program had increased students’ understanding of science
- 94% of teachers said the program had helped them develop hands-on science lessons
"Engaging and interactive. Accessible science discoveries for kids to develop a passion for science"
Improving regional students’ participation in science and maths subjects, through teacher development, fun learning materials and festivals in regional communities
- More than 8,000 regional Queenslanders engaged in science activities
- 77% of students demonstrated an increased interest in maths and science
- 91% of teachers had a better understanding and confidence in teaching science
"We felt the visit was invaluable, relevant and worthwhile for our students. We would encourage all others to get involved and take advantage of this great initiative"
Star of the Sea Catholic Primary School, Gladstone
Driving student and teacher interest in science through learning in robotics automation
- Taking robotics to 330 students across eight schools in Gladstone
- 72% of students had increased interest in science and maths
- 100% of 13 teacher participants reported increased confidence teaching science subjects
"Our students learned more in one hour than most people do in five, so it was fantastic to watch"
Toolooa State High School
Working with high school students and teachers to develop science skills by finding solutions to real-world challenges
- Delivered problem-solving workshops to 233 students and 10 teachers across five schools in Western Australia
- 69% of students have an increased desire to engage in science and maths education
- 80% of students and teachers feel more confident engaging in real world issues
"It has been a valuable experience for our students to look at the world around them and understand the issues we face"
Improving the education outcomes of regional students by providing online access to specialist health care without the need to travel long distances
- 116 students received access to allied and specialist health services through video conferencing
- 980 telehealth consults delivered
- 50% increase in the number of kids accessing Health-e-Regions
"I have witnessed a growth in the students’ positive attitude to their learning areas. Parent engagement in the program has been amazing"
Principal of St Joseph’s Primary School, Tara
"I used to be a criminal, institutionalised. Wirrpanda helped me get a job, now I’ve actually got it, I’m doing good and I’m showing people that anybody can change"
Empowering Traditional Owner women from the Kimberley to have a voice in their community. Providing pathways to sustainable employment for local rangers
- Five Bardi Jawi women employed on country
- 50 young Aboriginal school students connected with rangers and ranger activities
- 25 Traditional Owners engaged to transfer cultural ecological knowledge to rangers and youth
"If it wasn’t for Shell Prelude and partners, I wouldn’t have this amazing job that allows me to work on my country"
Bardi Jawy Oorany Ranger
"The Emerging Exporters program has given me an excellent first step on the export discovery journey and given me the platform to build a sustainable small, niche export business"
Elliott Premium Beef
"It will bring new opportunities – new employment opportunities, new tourism opportunities to the area – it’s really exciting"
Business Navigator participant
"It’s where the future is in gas and mining. It’s always going to have employment opportunities"
Prelude To The Future participant
"Being part of the PREQIP program let me see industries first hand, learn how to make a resume and practice interview skills"
"This fund allows community groups to accelerate what they are doing in the community. The projects that have been delivered have had a real impact in smaller communities and allowed great things to happen"
Wandoan State School P&C President
More in sustainability
We are committed to delivering energy responsibly and safely, preventing harm to our employees, contractors, local communities and the environment.