Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders peoples
Shell acknowledges that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are Australia’s First Peoples and the traditional owners and custodians of the land on which we work.
In Australia, we maintain relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander stakeholders and Traditional custodians within Queensland, Western Australia and Northern Territory.
Shell is committed to building meaningful relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities based on honesty, integrity and respect. Shell aspires to positively contribute to reconciliation with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in Australia by recognising their culture and rights and by jointly seeking opportunities to work together for mutual benefit.
Shell Australia has been part of Reconciliation Australia's Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) program since 2011. Our current RAP outlines a number of public commitments to promote reconciliation within our company and the wider community.
Our commitment in the RAP is grouped under the Reconciliation Australia headings of Respect, Relationships and Opportunities. It is defined by a set of measurable goals to be achieved by the end of 2017.
Key targets include:
- Increase Indigenous representation on Shell’s RAP Board (appointment of Ambelin Kwaymullina Lecturer University Western Australia Law School).
- Increase our direct and indirect contracting and procurement spend with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander business. Find out more about supplying to Shell Australia.
- Focus, as part of our social investment portfolio, on projects designed to invest in the potential of Indigenous Australians.
- Acknowledge the importance of our national RAP Champions network as Reconciliation leaders within Shell Australia.
- Cultural awareness training offered to all staff, with additional tailored training provided to Senior Leaders and Supervisors of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employees.
We would like to thank Reconciliation Australia and National Centre of Indigenous Excellence who helped us develop our RAP.
More in sustainability
We are committed to delivering energy responsibly and safely, preventing harm to our employees, contractors, local communities and the environment.