Shell Vice President Downstream Australia, Scott Wyatt, said the company now has capability to supply all NSW bitumen grades from three strategic supply locations on the east coast:
New South Wales – Port Botany, Queensland – Pinkenba (for northern New South Wales); and Victoria – Geelong and Laverton (for southern New South Wales).
Scott said: “Like the Shell Bitumen facility in Geelong, the Port Botany facility includes the capability to blend product ‘in-line’, offering significant product and supply flexibility by allowing production of the complete suite of NSW bitumen grades. In-line blending is a game changer for bitumen customers.”
NSW Premier, the Hon. Mike Baird MP said: “This is an exciting investment in NSW that will directly benefit our State by helping us to deliver better roads, while providing a boost to jobs and the NSW economy."
“Up until now Shell has supported NSW's bitumen requirements from their facilities in Victoria and Queensland. The good news is that this new plant will supply the bitumen for our key road projects to directly benefit motorists across the State.”
Minister for Roads and Freight Duncan Gay echoed Mr Baird’s comments.
“During the construction of the facility almost 200 people were employed at any one time and thousands more jobs will be created during the construction of these roads.
“This plant is literally making the bitumen for some of our key infrastructure projects including Camden Valley Way in Western Sydney and the Princes Highway upgrades underway in the Illawarra,” Mr Gay said.
The new facility is owned and operated by VOPAK, the world’s largest independent tank storage provider, who specialise in the storage and handling of oil products, LPG and liquid chemicals.
Tank and gantry:
- Three bitumen tanks provide over 21,000 tonnes storage capacity.
- An automatic, dual bay gantry provides load capacity of 60 tonnes per hour at each bay and the facility offers 24/7, 365 days a year operation.
- Remote operation and CCTV visuals for bitumen tanker drivers from the control room help to provide safe and efficient loading.
In-line bitumen blending:
- The in-line blending facility allows grades to be blended and loaded in a single process. This process is supported by quality certification (aligned with Roads and Maritime Services requirements).
- The facility can supply the C170, C240, C450 grades used in NSW, specialty grade C600and traditional grade C320.
Shell offers unrivalled bitumen supply and production facilities from six locations: Queensland (Pinkenba and Townsville), Victoria (Geelong and Laverton), South Australia (Birkenhead) and now New South Wales (Port Botany).
The new facility commenced operations and serving customers in May 2014.
For further information please contact:
Prue O’Donoghue, Edelman
Phone: (03) 9944 7635 / 0400 054 199